This is by far one of my new favorite dinners. I have an obsession with pad thai, but, I hate how fattening it is! If you like pad thai, I am positive that you are going to love my healthy alternative!
- 2 medium sized zucchinis
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 tbsp. sugar-free apricot preserves
- 2 tsp. crushed dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 tsp. brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 tsp. lite/low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 6 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (optional)
- 1/2 pound of shrimp (optional)
- Dash each salt and black pepper
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup 1-inch scallion pieces
- Double if serving more than two!
- Peel and then spiralize the zucchini with a spiralizer (you can get a cheap one on my eBay collections- hit the link in my side bar!) Heat the zucchini noodles in a bowl with water in the microwave until soft, or cook in a pan with water until soft. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl, combine ketchup, lime juice, preserves, peanuts, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Spray a wok or large skillet with nonstick spray and bring to medium-high heat on the stove. Add egg substitute and scramble until fully cooked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Remove wok/skillet from heat (if needed, clean it once cooled), re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and black pepper. Add broccoli, bean sprouts, red pepper, scallion pieces, shrimp and 2 tablespoons water. Stirring occasionally, cook until chicken is no longer pink, the shrimp has turned pink, and broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add sauce, stir to evenly distribute, and continue to cook for about 2 minutes, until sauce is hot. Add scrambled egg substitute and noodles, mix well, and continue to cook until hot, about 3 minutes.
- If you like, season to taste with additional crushed red pepper. Top with crushed peanuts, scallions, serve, and enjoy!
- Nutrition facts per serving (2 1/2 cups) Calories: 245 • Fat: 4g • Sodium: 625mg • Carbs: 32g • Fiber: 9g • Sugars: 13g • Protein: 34g
- Serving Size: 1 portion/order • Calories: 640 • Fat: 19g • Sodium: 1,735mg • Carbs: 90g • Fiber: 4g • Sugars: 22g • Protein: 30g
If you like this, say thanks bye sharing!