I had the opportunity to have my hair styled by Stylist Dominick Serna at the Mark Garrison Salon and I really learned so much! Dominick is so incredible at doing hair! I typically have a tough time getting volume in my hair, especially since I cut a lot of it off recently. However, during my styling session I took away so many tips on how to easily add more volume!
A few of the tips I took away from my session:
1. Blow Dry Upside Down– blowing your hair upside down will create volume because the air flow is lifting the hair off the scalp rather than blowing the hair down flat on the scalp. Another way to add volume when blow drying is to use a round brush and blow each piece out. However, I personally have never been able to master this technique nearly as well as my hair stylists!
2. Using dry shampoo and texturizing sprays for added texture to create the illusion of volume- Dry shampoo not only helps take away an oily look to your hair, but it also helps add major texture. Because dry shampoo isn’t heavy, you’ll have hair texture that looks thick and full. When using texturizing spray, flip your hair upside down and spray to make sure you’re getting the product on all your strands, not just the top layer. Then, tousle your hair and rough it up a bit to even out the product application. You’ll end up with a fuller and edgier look!
3. Using Women’s Rogaine Foam– This is ideal for anyone who thinks they might be thinning or just generally wants more natural volume. It actually helps to regrow hair!
4. If going for a wavy look, curl some pieces with a curler AND wave some pieces of your hair with a flatiron! Curl every other piece in the opposite direction. The front pieces framing your face should always be curled away from your face. When the curls are opposite they will not clump together in the same curl and it will give the hair the textured, undone look you want.
5. For a boost in your roots, use volumizing root powder! Volumizing powder adds definition to your hairstyle. Since I have short hair I really need this. Bob hairstyles look more full and have more shape after using root powder. If you look at the pictures below, you will notice the back of my hair where the powder was applied has a nice lift!
See below for the finished result!
*In collaboration with Women’s Rogaine